Sunday, January 24, 2010

Continuity

Since my last post was back in December and it is now towards the end of January, I am sure most of those who read this (if any) must have realised by now how incredibly punctual I am with blogging. Maybe because since my last post I have spent Christmas in Armidale, New Years with friends in Sydney, valued time with my Mother and a little more precious time with my girlfriend before heading back to Chiang Mai.
I think that going back to Australia was a good thing for me in some way. I was able to see people I loved and cared about and have a small taste of that Australian culture I missed. I do admit, that when the time for me to go came around I wasn't as sad to leave as I thought I would be. After all, It was only 3 and a half months more and then back to Australia for good (or for the meantime :P ).

So since coming back I have been quite busy. I was pretty sick for the first five days, 2 and a half of those days were spent in hospital. I am very happy to be much better now. Work at the CCA has also been a little more busier than it was. A LOT of letter writing, getting together deadlines and paperwork, and many other assembly-related items are of course what fills most of my days. I continue to be amazed at the extent of work the CCA is involved in and how strong the Ecumenical Movement is in Asia.

Before I left, Anita suggested I get a copy of a book called "Pastor: The Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry" by William Willimon. Not to set any particular reading but to read at my "leisure". I haven't read the whole book, from what I have read it is very deep but very interesting. The introduction summed up Ministry in four (4) points which I found very useful. These points were:
  1. Ministry is an act of God
  2. Ministry is an act of the Church
  3. To be a pastor/minister is to be tied in a unique way to the church, the believing community in Christ
  4. Ministry is difficult
Over the next few blogs I am going to try and give my understanding and thoughts on what each of those four (4) headings mean to me and to be a Minister.

1 comment: